jobs at smaller colleges

Candace Timpte ctimpte at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Nov 16 17:18:00 EST 1993

	I am in the big university academic scene, and a post doc in search
of a faculty position. I am quite interested in moving into a
smaller college/university setting. Unfortunately I have very little
teaching experience (in fact I was discouraged from trying to leave
the sacred lab bench to teach as a post doc).
		So, my questions are:
		   Is lack of teaching experience a major hindrance to getting a position
at a teaching/research institution? I do give quite good seminars, so I'm
told.
						Re: the research proposal..shall I scale down the scope of the
research and point out where undergraduates could benefit from involvement
in my research? My current advisor is quite helpful in the "high powered"
research university format for Job applications, but is of little help
for teaching colleges.
		I am happy to hear any and all Job seeking advice
 Thanks, Candace