'Victimisation forward'

kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 12:15:48 EST 1993

Vivian Gornick wrote a book called *Women in Science* which was oublished about
5 years ago. Another book by the same name, different authors, was published in
Britain last year. The UK has a national network of Women in Science groups.

Why not link up with *women* who are working on the subject, instead of
thinking that you've just discovered a neat topic and that therefore nobody
else has done such a book or had the idea?

Sorry, but the idea that nothing is discovered validly until a man finds out
about it makes me tired, and this idea of 'doing a book on women in science'
seems to be naive, arrogant and inappropriate coming from someone who is a
novice in all the issues, including, I suspect, the travail of producing a
book. Maybe you could contribute a chapter to an edited book, from your
perspective in Plant Sciences, buddy. Be realistic if you want to make a
*useful* contribution!

Katherine Kaye, FLS