Intro and children

Cheryl A. Telmer ct2v+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:17:29 EST 1993

Hi,

My name is Cheryl Telmer, I am a post-doc at Carnegie Mellon University
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where I am working on basal-body associated
proteins.  I did my graduate work at Queen's University in Kingston,
Ontario; my Master's was on protein synthesis in Brassica nigra and my
PhD was on embryogenesis in Brassica napus.  My PhD was with Bill
Newcomb at Queen's, in collaboration with Daina Simmonds at Agriculture
Canada.  Prior to starting my graduate work I worked as a research
assistant at the University of Ottawa with Illimar Altosaar and Annette
Nassuth (now at U of Guelph).  These two women associated with my work
were great role models (I think that there is something to be said for
having female role models).

My husband is a faculty member at GSIA here at CMU and that is actually
what brought us here to Pittsburgh, he had several job offers and we had
to choose which city to relocate to.  At the time of the decision I knew
that I would be done my degree in 1992 some time and we knew that we
were having a baby in October.  I did not have any funding and
Pittsburgh does not have anyone who works on plant cell biology.
However, I came down and talked to various researchers and am now
working with Jon Jarvik on Chlamydomonas on a project that I am
extremely interested in for a number of reasons which I won't get into
here.  Anyway, we chose to come to Pittsburgh for a number of career and
lifestyle reasons and are very happy with our decision (and I received
an NSERC PDF therefore my choice to work here was for the scientific
reasons and not limited by funding).  My son was born one month plus
after I defended my PhD and moved to Pittsburgh.  I stayed at home with
him for eight months and had the best time, I love being a Mom and was
extremely surprised at how strong the bond with Eric (my son) is.  I
started work in June and Eric started daycare-which he loves.  Life is
busy but we are all very happy with how things worked out.

I have to get back to work.

Bye...Cheryl