introductions and such like....

PXH at psuvm.psu.edu PXH at psuvm.psu.edu
Sun Sep 5 13:55:27 EST 1993

Today was my first day reading this newsgroup - and I enjoyed every post.
How long has this group been around?  Are there any "restrictions" as to
what one might post on this group?  Since people are on the subject of
introductions, allow me to introduce myself.  I am a postdoctoral research
associate, working in the area of membrane biology/biochemistry.  My current
interest is in membrane associated changes occurrin in apoptotic thymocytes.
I am now looking for faculty positions, though sometimes I wonder why!  From
the couple of friends who have recently got into this, the stress levels
seem to be quite high!  My husband is also looking for a faculty position so
that sort of complicates the issue.  Plus, already I feel we don't have
enuff time with our son (or with each other for that matter), so what
happens when (and if) we do land these jobs?  It is at times like this that
I wonder whether it would not be a bad idea to look for a job in industry
(wherethere is a completely different sort of pressure).  I'd like to hear
from women who have worked in industry, regarding the pressures involved and
whether one can have more time with ones family in that situation.  Oops!  I
just realised that my introduction left out my name - so I'll just sign off
with it - Deepti Pradhan
Deepti Pradhan  PXH at PSUVM.PSU.EDU         (814)863-1767 (Work)
Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology       (814)231-0503 (Home)
Penn State University
University Park, PA-16802