Female/male Lab Dynamics

LISA M. MADSEN madsen at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:38:06 EST 1993

As far as I can tell there haven't been any recent posts to this
board.  Have we run out of topics?  I don't think so but I've
had trouble coming up with one myself.  Recent discussions on "the
most convenient time to raise a family", "how to handle unwanted
advances", and "crying out of frustration" have all been helpful to
me.

Perhaps I'll start things off with a question.  Has it been
anyone else's experience that women in the lab are expected to perform
organizational and menial tasks (for example, getting luch for
visiting scientists)  as well as their own experiments and men perform
these tasks much less frequently?  Is this a dynamic present only in my lab?

Thanks in advance.

L.M. Madsen
PhD student (Microbiology)
NYU