Female/male Lab Dynamics

Sheri Huerd -- i1sheri at EXNET.IASTATE.EDU
Wed Sep 15 10:05:09 EST 1993

L.M. Madsen's post prompts me to ask a question of my own along the
same lines:
        I am a teaching ass't for a class of 31 students, 2 females and
29 males.  The class is in Weed Science, and most of these students are
doing fine.  But at least 10 people in the class could use some help in
the greenhouse IDing plants and pressing plants.  I have office hours
that all students said they can make at least one.  Nobody comes.  Lots
of questions are asked to me in the hall that would benefit the entire
class.  Is this a result of my being female and the class being almost
all men?  Should I be doing something (teaching-wise) differently?

P.S. to L.M.Madsen--the prof and co-TAs to my class are male, and YES,
I think that there is not only differential treatmentment, but
expectations of the work load I have and theirs--the Agronomy
Depart. is (unwittingly?) producing men who think women have less to
do, couldn't possibly be doing lab research that might take time, and
have free time to revise experiments (better typing skills???).

Sheri Huerd
Ecologist--but in the Iowa State Agronomy Dept.
Ames, IA--