Female/male Lab Dynamics

klier at cobra.uni.edu klier at cobra.uni.edu
Thu Sep 16 12:11:54 EST 1993

In article <9309151505.AA26439 at exnet.iastate.edu>, i1sheri at EXNET.IASTATE.EDU (Sheri Huerd --) writes:
>... I have office hours
> that all students said they can make at least one.  Nobody comes.  Lots
> of questions are asked to me in the hall that would benefit the entire
> class.  Is this a result of my being female and the class being almost
> all men?  Should I be doing something (teaching-wise) differently?

In my experience, it's the nature of the beast.  I announce office hours,
print 'em on the syllabus, and have pleasant afternoons all to myself
catching up on other things... but the students catch me before and
after class, in the hall...  It seems to work the same for my male
colleagues, too.

>... men who think women have less to
> do, couldn't possibly be doing lab research that might take time, and
> have free time to revise experiments (better typing skills???).

Time to do some colleague education...  ;-)  (and yes, I used to
work with folks in your dept....  Some began to catch on after awhile...
are they backsliding? )

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI