women and email

Amy Teel amy at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Thu Sep 16 09:27:08 EST 1993

H.F.J.Bligh at uk.ac.nottingham.ccc.vme wrote:
: I've just been reading an article in todays 'Guardian' (a British broadsheet
: newspaper) about why so few women (in comparison to men) use email and
: the net. The conclusions seem to be:
: 1 Women have this idea that ' I'm no good with machines'
: 2 Economics, women have less disposable cash so the women most likely to
: be linked are those in science or technology where their employer pays
: for the equipment and access etc.
: 3 If you're a woman and admit you're on the net people think you're weird.
:

I think 1 and 2 are possibilities. I've never experienced the third reason; in fact most of the few people I know who have heard of the net are other women who use it.

I have two other thoughts:

When they say that fewer women use the net, do they mean by reading and searching through it, or posting to Usenet? I spend a lot of time reading articles and burrowing through gopher holes, but rarely post, so how would anyone know I was "there"?

Also, perhaps women use the net less (if they do) because they have less time to play around with it and use it. Although I have a computer and modem at home, I'm usually busy in the evenings with errands and chores, so I do more of my internet cruising at work when I have down time. Maybe more men have spouses who take care of all those jobs at home so they can play or work in the evenings. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

Anyway, that's my $0.03.

Amy Teel                         Research: If we never had to do it
Grad Student                     over, we'd call it "Search"
Univ. of Minnesota

PS Sorry about the line wraps--I'm still learning a new program!