women and email

H.F.J.Bligh at uk.ac.nottingham.ccc.vme H.F.J.Bligh at uk.ac.nottingham.ccc.vme
Thu Sep 16 04:49:41 EST 1993

I've just been reading an article in todays 'Guardian' (a British broadsheet
newspaper) about why so few women (in comparison to men) use email and
the net. The conclusions seem to be:
1 Women have this idea that ' I'm no good with machines'
2 Economics, women have less disposable cash so the women most likely to
be linked are those in science or technology where their employer pays
for the equipment and access etc.
3 If you're a woman and admit you're on the net people think you're weird.

I haven't personally encountered the third one at all but I do know that
very few women where I work are on the net and then it is mainly just to
email friends in other institutions.
The article seemed to suggest this is not just a U.K. problem but a
world wide one and that if women don't get involved soon we're going to
find we've missed the boat on yet another element of world progress what
with the Whitehouse going on-line etc.
What are other peoples experiences?
personally I know my use of the net isn't as far reaching as it could be but
I'm still getting to grips with the software!
Having found the net though, personally I'm a fervent fan as I feel that
I've been able to make contact with people that feel the same way as I do
about so many things.
One last thought.. If  the advantage of the net is as the article claimed
that one remains anonymous on it, Why do I feel that Kay Klier is my
friend??????.....
Frankie Bligh