Women and minority candidates for faculty positions

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:00:09 EST 1994

Hello Netters,

In several committees that I have been involved with, the topic of how
to increase the number of women and minorities in faculty positions has
come up several times (because there is a strong desire to do so not only
University-wide, but also in the School of Agriculture where I am situated)
.  Competition is keen among open faculty positions, especially with
as many as 30-60 candidates applying, but the main problem is how to
increase the number of women and minorities **hired** when they make up a
very low proportion of the candidate pool and without sacrificing quality.
A reason that they make up such a low proportion of the total applicant
pool is that there are very few women and minorities in Agriculture,
nevertheless there is a strong desire to increase their numbers holding
positions within our school - the question is how?
  Another question that
has come up is retention of women and minority faculty candidates - the
tenure process is difficult (highly understated) and combined with child-
bearing, even more so; in regard to minorities, it has been suggested that
the lack of similar minority types may affect retention of minority faculty
.  I would be very appreciative if any netters have suggestions with which
some of these problems can be approached, if not solved, I would welcome
them and submit them to those in the administration who are in a position
to something about it.

Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284	*
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953	*
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu	*
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                        	*