Women and minority candidates for faculty positions

Dick Pratt PQQ at psuvm.psu.edu
Tue Apr 12 10:55:10 EST 1994

I can feel the flames warming up already but ...
If we wish to increase the number of women and minority faculty (as opposed
to applicants) why don't we simply advertise jobs only to those
under-represented groups?  Given the ridiculous competition for some slots,
hoping that a candidate will surface from a huge pool is ineffective.
An analysis of this problem appeared in the Bulletin of the Ecological
Society of American some time ago, and I recall some English-speaking
countries (not US) actually doing this.  It seems like a reasonable
strategy.

J.R. (Dick) Pratt            pqq at psuvm.psu.edu (internet)
7 Ferguson Bldg.             FAX: 814/865-3725
Penn State                   Voice: 814/865-6942
University Park, PA 16802