Life Angst, or is there life outside lab and should t

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Fri Aug 5 20:06:43 EST 1994

   Interesting thread.  I have two comments
1.  When I was young I dropped out of academia for 5 years and worked
in industry.  I did it to have more time, less responsibility, etc,etc.
Within a few months, I was moving up, doing more, asking for promotions,
taking on responsibilities, etc.  I finally went back for my Ph.D. when
I hit the glass ceiling

2.  Science, or at least biological science, does not lend itself to
40 hour weeks.  You will do better, and be thought better of, if you
work longer hours but take longer vacations.

   So I guess I am saying that (1) it comes from within; and (2) it
is in the nature of things.
Pat

--
Patricia L. Foster