cope

Deb dclauswa.gas.uug.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 10 17:47:48 EST 1994

In article <9408041710.AA09791 at helix.nih.gov>
johnston at HELIX.NIH.GOV (Jane Marie Johnston) writes:

> Hello,
> I've recently returned to work after maternity leave. Some overwhelmed. How do the rest of you working mothers manage to cope?
> I'd be grateful to hear from you.  Most of the time I find myself wishing that I could be with my adorable baby. Lab work can be very demoralising at
> the best of times and when experiments are not going well I feel like
> giving up.
>
> Any advice would be helpful.
>
> Please forgive the format, I'm new at this.
>
> Jane
>
> Ps. I'm a postdoc

Jane, you probably have just voiced (written) what a lot of mothers are
feeling! You have perfectly described how I am feeling. It always seems
that the day you most want to be home, is the day when every experiment
(or portion thereof) flops and is invariably something that has to be
completed that day. When you finally do get home your child is already
asleep for the night (minus the nightly feedings). I basically have to
work and I keep telling myself that I have to do what I have to do (but
that doesn't help much). Lately, there seems to be a lot of new mothers
on campus, not to mention in the department-- so I always have someone
to grouse with. This seems to help knowing there are others in the same
boat. Deb