married...in grad school...w/children

"Tammy" L. Roust troust at beat.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 13 17:55:04 EST 1994

In article <32gsnj$qna at tierra.santafe.ede>,
C. A. Stewart <cheryl at wijiji.santafe.edu> wrote:

>>>In article <32atk8$lv1 at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu (Leslie Kay) writes:
>>>In the more general case, if a couple are surviving financially in the
>>>USA right now, they are almost certainly not both in graduate
>>>school. Given the general observations from women in this group that
>

>>	You're right.  In some cases, however, when grad students get a
>>great deal of funding, it is reasonable to obtain a lower middle class
>>income level.  For example, the average for my graduate program at UCLA
>>in excess (neuroscience) is around $30,000, because of the enormous amount
>>of funding available.  The average excess for my husband's program (astro-
>>physics) at Caltech is around $25,000 in the grad division.  This is
>>independent of anything earned by TAing.
>

>Furthermore, at a lot of schools and with a lot of postdoctoral fellowships, it's
>nearly impossible to get your medical insurance covered. At Harvard, I would have

	You're absolutely right, here.  UCLA charges $500 a quarter for both
undergrad AND grad students.  The figures I was quoting for medical care are
if you are covered under this plan.  Berkeley charges $300 or so, but at least
they include this amount in your financial aid.  Caltech charges $500 for
me to get coverage under my husband's plan, a month.  UCLA allows financial
aid fee discounts for those who can't afford it for undergrads.  For grad
students, the amount is included in your financial aid cost of attendance.
Caltech's health insurance plan is free to all students.  UCLA's grad students
are REQUIRED to take their health insurance.  What I mean by "included in
financial aid" is: if you estimated family contribution (EFC) by federal
estimation is $0, all costs in your cost of attendance are covered by federal
and/or state financial aid, if your full financial aid is met.
	If you are a CA resident, the UC schools MUST meet your full financial
need (I love that part :)), so if you're a grad student, the health insurance
is effectively free.  IF you go to Caltech, it's free anyway, unless you want
another person on your policy.

>had to pay nearly $500.00/month for coverage for myself and my husband, more if I
>had had children.  That was out of a postdoctoral fellowship of $30,000.00 in
>1992-94, the salary you're quoting for graduate student stipends at UCLA for 93-94.

	That's actually pretty cheap for coverage.  I'm not quoting $30,000
for "stipends".  My concept of a stipend is an amount in excess of tuition and
fees.  If I was using your definition, UCLA would be giving me a "stipend" of
around $6,000 this year, my second year of undergrad studies.  They are NOT.
They are giving me $6,000 to cover my housing costs.  The average of $30,000
is fellowships, grants and scholarships in excess of cost of attendance
(tuition, fees, books, health ins.).  The $30,000 also includes money you must
spend for car insurance, because no one can get along in LA without a car,
rent (because rent in LA is just skyhigh), and general overall living expenses.
Here's an example: our car insurance is $2439 a year, our rent is $7200 a year
and I commute 2 hours total each day, meaning we spend $30 a week on gas for
our compact car.

>And you get medical benefits on top of that?  In my NATO fellowship in France in
	My husband does - I do not, necessarily, unless I am expected to
contribute nothing to my education (full financial aid), in which case I pay
$1500 an academic year.

Tammy
troust at ugcs.caltech.edu
--
"Watch?? I'm gonna pray, Man!  Know any good religions?" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox