married...in grad school...w/children

"Tammy" L. Roust troust at beat.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 13 17:32:31 EST 1994

In article <32gsnj$qna at tierra.santafe.ede>,
C. A. Stewart <cheryl at wijiji.santafe.edu> wrote:

>>>In article <32atk8$lv1 at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu (Leslie Kay) writes:
>>>In the more general case, if a couple are surviving financially in the
>>>USA right now, they are almost certainly not both in graduate
>>>school. Given the general observations from women in this group that
>

>>	You're right.  In some cases, however, when grad students get a
>>great deal of funding, it is reasonable to obtain a lower middle class
>>income level.  For example, the average for my graduate program at UCLA
>>in excess (neuroscience) is around $30,000, because of the enormous amount
>>of funding available.  The average excess for my husband's program (astro-
>>physics) at Caltech is around $25,000 in the grad division.  This is
>>independent of anything earned by TAing.

	Sorry I wasn't being specific.  This is for the graduate program in
Neuroscience at UCLA, which has 8 or 9 private fellowships and several donor
programs.  For more information, gopher to UCLA and check the school of
medicine.  That's another thing: this grad program is only in the school of
medicine.  You also mentioned that $55,000 is not lower middle class.  Please
consider that we live in Los Angeles, where $55,000 is most certainly lower
middle class, and the cost of living is significantly greater.  We cannot
obtain a house for less than $140,000 here in Pasadena, which is actually
rather cheap for the LA area.
	The UCLA program is able to support quite a bit of funding for its
neuroscience graduate students because it has six research institutes for
neuro research: the Brain Research Institute, the Jerry Lewis Neuromuscular
Institute, the Stein Institute(s), Reed Neurological, and of course, the
Neuroscience Dept. research in the School of Medicine.  UCLA is quite
specialized in its neuro-related research.  All of these Institutes receive
large donations and are part of UCLA, and therefore NOT-FOR-PROFIT!
	Caltech, my husband's college, is also NOT-FOR-PROFIT and owns Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, which receives several BILLION dollars a year in
public and private funding, mostly from NASA.  As a result, they can afford
to pay their grad students a goodly amount.  Furthermore, Caltech pays its
profs better than every school in the nation except one.

>Um, sorry if this seems like a flame, but...most schools I know of will just
>plain fire you if you even hint that you might want to have kids someday.

	I've read your posts, and I am sorry for your misfortune at NYU.  As
I'm sure you know, this kind of discrimination is illegal.  I know many
students with children, some at Caltech, all undergrads.  The Caltech
Children's Center exists so that grad students, faculty and staff may continue
their careers and studies without interruption and without cost.  It is free
to members of the Caltech community.  California schools are generally
very wary of anything that might cause them a lawsuit, so that might be why.
	When it comes to daycare and such, I'm merely stating what we've
seen in the catalogs and been told by financial aid, administration, and of
course, our major depts.  It may also be that since my husband and I are
undergraduate students enrolled in the disadvantaged student's program at
our respective universities, we are getting some special privileges.  It
probably didn't hurt that when we applied, we were economically disadvantaged
as well as geographically underrepresented (we went to high school in South
Dakota).
	To be totally honest, I'm planning on using my gender to its advantage
while I'm in grad school.  I'm a woman in neuroscience.  Furthermore, I'll be
the first woman to graduate in the Undergrad Neuroscience dept, since its
inception last year.  There are numerous scholarships and fellowships open
to me in the graduate dept. because of my gender.  I see nothing wrong in this,
because women are historically underrepresented in neuroscience.  IF I am
dismissed from my graduate program, which I doubt will happen because the
UC schools are desperately afraid of lawsuits, they will lose federal funding,
because they will not have enough women in the graduate department to
confirm that they are following the Civil Rights laws.  Furthermore, they will
be losing money, because the private donors who set up scholarships at UCLA
for women in neuroscience will not be paying my tuition.  So I feel reasonably
secure in this.  When I am faculty, I probably will not feel so secure in my
actions, unless, of course, I am faculty in the Neuroscience graduate program.
	By the way, most of my husband's professors at Caltech have small
children that they take care of, because Caltech professors are required to
teach one class.  Every day, they walk over to the Children's Center, located
convieniently on-campus, and eat lunch with their children.  They pick them
up at the end of the day and take them home.  Some return after dinner to
talk research with their grad students, some don't.  It all depends on
seniority.  When I say this is because they are required to teach one class,
I mean that this is because they aren't required to do 80 hours of research
a week.  They also are guaranteed summers off from teaching, because Caltech
has no summer term.  Caltech has a special summer research program which allows
undergrads to do research for professors as their summer job, some for work-
study, some not.  This enables faculty to have cheap help on hand during the
summer, when most of the research is done.  And no, not all the professors
are men.  My husband's chemistry professor was not.
	This is in contrast to my professors at Berkeley last year.  All of
them were white, anglo-saxon males.  And none had small children.

Tammy
troust at ugcs.caltech.edu

--
"Watch?? I'm gonna pray, Man!  Know any good religions?" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox