married...in grad school...w/children

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 14 11:27:51 EST 1994

In article <32jj08$dbu at gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
Tammy <troust at beat.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>	That's actually pretty cheap for coverage.  I'm not quoting $30,000
>for "stipends".  My concept of a stipend is an amount in excess of tuition and
>fees.  If I was using your definition, UCLA would be giving me a "stipend" of
>around $6,000 this year, my second year of undergrad studies.  They are NOT.
>They are giving me $6,000 to cover my housing costs.  The average of $30,000
>is fellowships, grants and scholarships in excess of cost of attendance
>(tuition, fees, books, health ins.).  The $30,000 also includes money you must
>spend for car insurance, because no one can get along in LA without a car,
>rent (because rent in LA is just skyhigh), and general overall living expenses.
>Here's an example: our car insurance is $2439 a year, our rent is $7200 a year
>and I commute 2 hours total each day, meaning we spend $30 a week on gas for
>our compact car.

You're still swimming in it, in my definition. I would love to bring in $30k
after 'costs of attendance'.  The prices you quote for rent and the bare minimum
cost of a house are comparable to Seattle. Fortunately this area has a very
workable public transit system so I don't need a car (though it sure would be
nice to get out of town every once in a while). After a *lot* of student
wrangling with the legislature the University picks up the bare minimum (no
optical, no dental, etc) insurance--though mine has come out of fellowship &
training grant money over the cost of the set stipend for students in this
department. That figure, btw, is $13-14K, depending on whether you've passed
your generals yet.

Angie