faculty positions for spouses

Leszek Andrzej Kleczkowski lakleczk at bioslave.uio.no
Mon Aug 15 06:19:12 EST 1994

CSTAICER at AC.DAL.CA wrote:

: I am gathering information on what other universities have done to
: accomodate spouses of biology (or other science) faculty members.  Any
: information on the situation at your university would be much appreciated.
:  For example, are any couples splitting or otherwise sharing a single
: position, have new positions been created, and if so, what fraction of
: full time are people appointed at?  Also, what problems have arisen during
: negotiations for such arrangements or after they have been made?  How many
: faculty members have left a university because their spouse has been
: unable to obtain a position?

In the current situation in the US universities, where in excess of 100
candidates per one assistant professor position apply, I think it is
highly immoral (or at least ethically dubious) to have University
officials negotiating employment with a scientist having scientist-spouse
as a "joint package". In cases I am familiar with, one person ends up as
a faculty (or on tenure-track) and the other as sort of "research
assistant professor", which eventually leads to tenured position.

Now the relevant question:  how likely it is that BOTH spouses will edge
over 100 qualified candidates per position?  In cases that I know it was
the male part of the family who got the "lead" position, with the woman
ending up as research ass. prof.  I am sure there are opposite cases
(with women getting "lead" position), but they are probably less
numerous.  In any case, negotiating a faculty position (or tenure-track)
for a spouse is not an exception, however disgusting it may be for those
who value merit in job applicants.

Leszek A. Kleczkowski

 : 	 Cindy
Staicer