Fringe Benefits for Women Graduate Students

stephen hedman grad at D.UMN.EDU
Sun Aug 14 19:46:30 EST 1994

The University of Minnesota, as I'm sure is true of most
universities, is faced with two opposing forces:  the desire to attract
qualified graduate students but yet confronted with a need to reduce its operating budget.  One way to make our institution
attractive to graduate students is to have a generous fringe benefit
package.  But since there is no such thing as a free lunch there is
always a cost associated with such benefits.

Currently, and in my opinion most unfortunately, we have very limited
child care facilities available to our graduate students.  This leads me
to two related questions for those who wish to respond:

1. Does your institution provide child care (day care) facilities for you
and if so, are they provided free of charge or do you have to pay?

2. If you are a graduate assistant or fellow (TA, RA, etc), does your
institution provide free medical/hospitalization insurance?

Thanks for your input.

Steve Hedman
Graduate School
University of Minnesota