married...in grad school...w/children

Cathy Quinones quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU
Tue Aug 16 12:19:34 EST 1994

In article <32qpmv$slh at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu (Sarah Pallas) writes:
>In article <32p1j1$os2 at darkstar.UCSC.EDU> quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU (Cathy Quinones) writes:
>>In article <32osv9$4bc at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu (Sarah Pallas) writes:
>>>Just for the record, lest someone actually think sexual harassment is
>>>a thing of the past, most surveys report 25-30% of academic women have
>>>experienced gender-based harassment at least once.
>>
>>But, did these situations convince you that men with PhDs ARE mysogynistic
>>by nature?
>
>No, and I never said that.  Perhaps you are confusing me with someone
>else?  Please check the attributions of the posts you reply to.  I was
>reacting to your implication that sexual harassment does not exist at
>your institution.  Now you have clarified your statements, and said
>that actually YOU have experienced harassment.  I would agree that one
>should try to assume the best of people, male or female, until proven
>wrong.  I can empathize, however, with people that have been so badly
>treated that in the interest of their own safety/sanity, they react
>negatively against a group of people.  I don't say that I accept it,
>just that I understand it.
>
>Sarah Pallas, Ph.D.

Did I accuse you of saying tha?!  NO, I simply meant to say, with the
experiences you described, did you conclude that all men with PhDs
hate women?  Your answer, as I guessed, is no.

(Also, now that I have "confessed" to having being harassed, which
in reality was more like "annoyed", I guess I am allowed to comment
on these issues.)

I never said sexual harassment doesn't exist in my institution, to
say that I would have to know every woman who ever attended this
school, etc...  I am saying that awarness on the subject is growing,
and that it may be self-defeating to go into academia *expecting*
every male's top priority is to demean women and hinder their
intellectual/career progress.  Quite simply, if you go in expecting
the worst, you will still get crap from the assholes that would have been
assholes anyhow, but you may also limit your own progress by failing
to consider interacting or cooperating with certain scientist just
because they happened to be born with testicles.  Even when utopia
arrives and the sex of scientists in all fields matches the sex ratio
in the general population, this attitude would tend to effectively
destroy chances of interacting with slightly less than 1/2 of all
scientists...
--
////// /\_/\_____   \\  /// quinones at biology.ucsc.edu ////