help! starting to think about grad school

Kasey Congdon kcongdon at rendon.com
Tue Aug 16 15:40:07 EST 1994

Hello!

I graduated from Georgetown University in May of 1993 with a B.S. in
International Affairs, with a concentration in Science, Technology, and
International Affairs.  I took several biology, biotech, and
health-related courses.  I am currently working as a Systems Manager
(=computer geek), but I am thinking of going back to school for something
biology-related.

I am interested in endocrinology, cell bio, biotech, immunology, and
biochem.  What I decide to study depends on what is available, what I
programs I can actually get into, and what career that would lead to.  I
am in the process of buying a condo in the DC area, so I would love to
stay around here, but I am unsure of the reputation of the universities
here for such things.  For instance, George Mason has a cell bio course
of study; is that worth the money and time it would take? What are the
best schools?  What difference does that make in employability and salary
later?  What degree do I need to make any reasonable amount of money and
to do anything that requires me to use more that two brain cells on a
regular basis?

Many of you have done this already; what do you do now?  How did you get
there?  What is your average day like?  I really appreciate any help you
can give me; thanks so much!

Kasey