real scientists

Laura Almasy ALMASY at biomed.med.yale.edu
Sun Aug 28 13:57:15 EST 1994

Great new thread!  It's lured me out of my usual lurking mode.

In <199408281320.GAA19625 at net.bio.net> ADREGER at UCS.INDIANA.EDU asks:

> is a scientist who has become a nothing-but administrator no longer a
> scientist?

I like this formulation of the question.  It brings up the issue of whether
being a scientist has to do with the activities you're engaging in or with your
approach to knowledge.  If you don't conduct any experiments, but you do form
hypotheses and draw conclusions based on your observations, are you a scientist
or a philosopher?

Does it matter whether the hypotheses are testable?

	--Laura

Laura A. Almasy			almasy at biomed.med.yale.edu
Dept. of Genetics
Yale University