real scientists

But my good woman, you are a man! ADREGER at UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Sun Aug 28 08:20:45 EST 1994

I like Leslie Kay's question:  what is a _real_ scientist?  In trying to
come with an answer, I keep coming back to another question:
What is at stake there?  What does one get for being recognized as a
_real_ scientist -- and who IS it that gets to say who a _real_
scientist is?

E.g., is a creation scientist a _real_ scientist -- or is s/he not because
(a) s/he doesn't do the activities we expect of a real scientist (in
which case, is a scientist who has become a nothing-but administrator no
longer a scientist?);
(b) his/her work does not fit with the -- dare I say it -- dominant paradigm?
If that is the answer -- then does one have to "go with the gang" to be a
_real scientist_ and, if so, what implications does that have for women
scientists like, e.g. Barbara McClintock?

I own a bread machine now, and the two women who wrote the recipe book I
use did -- what looks like to me -- a whole slew of experiments to figure
out exactly what recipes would get you which kind of breads in which kinds
of machines.  Sometimes they provide causal explanations (like "the sugar
helps activate the yeast" -- or something like that).  Are they
real scientists?

Thanks, Leslie.

Alice Dreger
Indiana U.