areal scientis

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at cs.washington.edu
Mon Aug 29 20:03:04 EST 1994

In article <199408282013.NAA07076 at net.bio.net> MLJAP at VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (lederman) writes:
>Is a non-productive (research-wise) tenured full professor (male or
>female) who is neverthless a fabulous teacher, and makes a subject so
>exciting that people decide to major in science "not a real
>scientist"?

It seems that it would be more useful to call them a *real teacher*,
and elevate our respect for such people, than to somehow pretend that
the ability to discover new things is necessarily related to the task
of stimulating and energizing a new audience.

-- p

--
We are joy. We are light. We are darkness and we are night. We are hands and
heads and ears and nose. We are feet, fingers limbs and toes. We all, we all.