(feminism) ETHICS help please? my try

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 4 18:31:33 EST 1994

A brief dissention, with the knowledge that this is topic is
straying from women in biology....

In article <wardp-0412941401200001 at cuchullain.usask.ca>,
Pearse Ward <wardp at cuchullain.usask.ca> wrote:

>Do we as a society wish to ban genetic screening for
>diseases which we cannot treat or cure? If you view this as the ethical
>choice Robin, how do you reconcile this with a supposed right to absolute
>reproductive control (a central tenet of orthodox feminist ideology)?

I disagree that 'absolute reproductive control' is 'a central tenet of
orthodox feminist ideology'.  For instance, in some cultures male offspring
are much more desireable than female offspring; what feminist would support
selective abortion on the basis of sex?

Angie Kantola