What is Success

Susan L Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Wed Feb 2 11:36:12 EST 1994

In article <2ik0pe$dka at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> Sarah Pallas,
pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu writes:
>Just a perhaps amusing observation.  Like many women, and men too, I
>assumed that I was lacking something when I first started in grad
>school because everybody else seemed so smart.  My mentors did
little
>to discourage this opinion, but that's another story.  As I get
older,
>I find that it was basically a lack of self esteem on my part.  Now
>see not so much that I am smarter than I thought, though that's part
>of it, but that everyone else is NOT as smart as I thought.  Largely
>they were faking it and fooling me.
>       [deleted]
> They sound so sure of themselves I think they must
>really know what they're talking about!

That confidence, in whomever has it, for whatever reason, is
essential for success in science.  are we more persuaded by the
seminar that says "it works like this" or by the seminar that says
"it might work like this, or then again, like that?"    Objective
evaluation and caution are not appreciated in science, oddly enough.
  You have to give the hard sell.

susan

Susan L Forsburg
Molecular Biology and Virology Laboratory
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
email:  susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
        formerly forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk