unknown, lesbian,etc.

Cindy Hale chale at sage.nrri.umn.edu
Wed Jan 12 14:15:56 EST 1994

I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who had a negative reaction to the
first response recieved from "unknown" asking to start an interaction.  I
thought the responder read a lot into that short paragraph.  While I think
the responder was trying to be empathetic, instead she really belittled
tha concerns and problems faced by lesbians in both science and the world
at large by implying that they are basically the same as those faced by
all people and women. I am a heterosexual woman who has faced many
obstacles in my career and education.  While my lesbian friends and I
share a great deal in terms of problems faced, I could never say thier
obstacles are the same as mine.  Their's are unique even if there are some
shared commonalities between us.
I have chosen to send this publically rather than to the respondent
because I believe it is a issue that we as women must come to terms with
and be willing to speak openly about.  It is not intended as a personal
attack on the responder but as a critique which hopefully will lead to
a additional thought on the issue.
P.S.  To unknown, It sounded to me like you wanted to connect with others
out here in netland and not start controversy.  Welcome   CHale