pregnancy and travel

Kristin B. Andersson kbrevik at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:34:37 EST 1994

This practice is common also in Europe.  On international flights, the
carriers usually refuse women which are 7-8 months pregnant.  On
domestic flights I think the practice is to allows flights within 3
weeks of term and a satisfactory statement from a doctor.

I don't think that the issue is "large and pregnant", but of safety
just in case labor or problems arise during the flight.  After all,
term is an estimate, and most  (70%) give birth within +/- 2 weeks of
term.

If you feel great, and have support from your doctor, fly away...

Kristin
- Kristin B. Andersson -     University of Washington, SC-42
                             Tlf:  +1-206-685-9992 / 543-1426
kbrevik at u.washington.edu     FAx:  +1-206-685-0305