Pregnancy, Travel, VDT's and Miscarriages

Karen Marionneaux kmarionn at seqanal.mi.uky.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:10:03 EST 1994

I just thought that I would post all of this together because it is all
sort of related.

Yes, the airlines can keep you from traveling if you are pregnant.  But the
only place I have seen this become an issue is on overseas flights.  I
was living in Europe but wanted my baby born in the United States.  I had
to conduct travel before  the end of my 34th week and had to have a
statement from my doctor stating that I could travel.  This all had to be
in to the airline (Delta at the time) before my departure.  The reasoning
behind this is that the personnel on the airlines are not qualified to
handle a birth if there are complications.  Considering the length of
some overseas flights it is very possible that you could go into labor
and be at the point of delivery before the plane could land.  I have
traveled in the states past the 34th week and never even been asked
for any paperwork.

As far as the woman who was concerned about VDT's and miscarriages, I don't
think that they have any proof one way or another.  My first pregnancy ended
in a miscarriage.  I have 4 children now.  I have worked in the computer
field for the last 20 years and have sat or stood in front of a terminal for
98% of that time.  I was lucky that I never had to go through another miscarriage and I can relate to your sorrow.  I hope that when you do become pregnant
again you can try not to worry.  I know it is hard, but the worry (especially
for everything that you do) can lead to many problems caused by anxiety.

Karen Marionneaux
Systems Programmer Analyst
Univ. of KY, Dept. of Microbiology/Immunology