HOMOPHOBIA IN THE SCIENCES

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 13:01:35 EST 1994

thank her for starting the conversation (or is a debate).

I certainly did not intend any discussion and sharing of experiences to be
privy only to lesbians.  I do apologize for not being more specific.  I must
confess that I was shy about what kinds of responses I might see on the net.
After first reading Kroslowitz's reply, some of you might understand my
aprehension.  Thankfully, a second reply came through which helped eased
my shyness.

An experience which is happening to me at the moment is not that far removed
from experiences heterosexual women might experience in the sciences, in their
work.  I am presently applying to a Ph.D. program and one of the professors
I would like to (or rather need to) work with is extremely interested in my
and every woman's personal life.  I am afraid of discrimination based on my
sexual preference.

You might think it easy to just obstain from sharing my personal life with
faculty and peers.  But at meetings, symposia, classes, etc, discussions on
spouses and children, and significant others comes up.  Everday I must make
the choice as to how "out" to be.  Each time I am "out" to my professors,
I feel I run the risk of my grades and of my future being at risk of discrimination.
Will I get into the Program?  Will I get the grade I deserve?  Will this
professor write me a favorable recommendation?  These questions and fears are
very real to me, especially when I must deal and work with homophobic and/or
sexist professors.

I too am interested in taling with other women about their lives as scientists.
I am a woman, a scientist, and also a lesbian.  Do I count Ms. Kroslowitz?

Thanks to D. Ewing for the helpful and supportive comments.