pregnancy and travel

Caroline A Breitenberger cbreiten at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 12 10:34:47 EST 1994

Hi, Rae Nishi.  Congratulations!  (For serving on an NIH study
section, of course! :)

I have also heard that airlines will not permit pregnant women
to travel by air during the last month of pregnancy.  I suspect
this might be an urban (aerial?) legend, though.  I flew to an
ASBMB meeting several years ago while almost 8 months pregnant,
and very large :)+O=.  No airline personnel said anything on any
of several flights.  Like you, I felt comfortable (well, as
comfortable as you can be with a kicking, squirming bowling
ball in your tummy).  I also had the advantage of knowing that
my previous baby had been almost three weeks late.  IMHO, neither
your husband nor your doctor know better than you how you are
doing, whether you are able to fly, and when the baby is coming.
(On the other hand, one of my friends was told by her doctor not
to travel after the fifth month.  In her case, there were medical
complications.)

Congratulations again, and let us know how you are doing (in
about three months)!

Caroline Breitenberger
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry, Ohio State University