Miscarriage and work

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 09:49:05 EST 1994

Hi,

I have been debating bringing up this subject for a while now, but Rae Nishi's
question on pregnancy helped me decide to go ahead.  I had a miscarriage in
November.  It was my first pregnancy, very much wanted and planned for.
I was 12 weeks pregnant, and at the time I took a week off while
the miscarriage was confirmed, I had a D&C, etc.  My manager was wonderfully
supportive, told me to take as much time as I needed, and to not even think
about the office.  Since the miscarriage I have been OK, if you consider
extreme emotional ups and downs OK!  I have read many books, and attended 1
meeting of a support group for fetal loss that was very helpful.

My questions revolve around the degree to which it is appropriate to admit to
having some really "down" days.  I really never gave it a thought until a
friend told me that I should be careful about taking "mental health days" as
a form of sick time.  I left work early one day right before Christmas because
I was very upset that day.  The holidays were very difficult, as everyone
expects you to be happy and celebrate, and they don't realize that you do not
really ever get over a miscarriage, never mind in just 6 weeks.  Other
questions I have revolve around my next pregnancy, when it occurs.  I will
now be completely paranoid, and I worry about sitting in front of a computer
all day.  I know studies have been done on the link between miscarriage and
VDT's (video display terminals, i.e. monitors) but they haven't really
convinced me that anyone knows for sure what is going on.  Also, I just heard
on the news the other day that woman with a history of miscarriage should not
stand for 8 hours a day or so, as that may increase their risk of miscarriage
with subsequent pregnancies.  I do stand in front of my computer a lot, as
I get sick of sitting.  So what do I do next time I  am pregant?  Admit all
these fears to my boss, or try to keep it to myself?  By the way, almost my
whole day is in front of a computer, since I am in the field of research
computing at a biotech company.

I would love to hear from anyone on any of the above subjects, as I find it
very helpful to talk this out.  I have a lot of fears and concerns relating
to my next pregnancy, so any advice at all would be appreciated.  I think
sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, because as a biologist I
understand the millions of events that must go exactly right to end up with
a baby, and I never took it for granted that getting pregnant means you are
having a baby, as many of my non-scientist friends do.

-Maureen
 mcolbert at genetics.com