Any Lesbian Scientists out there?

Karen Kroslowitz kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org
Tue Jan 11 18:59:52 EST 1994

On 11 Jan 1994,  wrote:

> I am a graduate student at the UNiversity of Massachusetts.  I feel somewhat
> isolated here.  Not only being a woman, but also a lesbian.  Does anyone
> out there have stories to share?  Specific problems they might experience
> in the sciences?  Let's get a conversation going.

Dear Unknown:
	What kind of stories are you looking to share?
I don't mean to sound like a bigotted homophobe (which I most certainly am
not), but this is a newsgroup for women in science to discuss their
experiences, triumphs, failures & day-to-day madness with other women (and
even some men on the group). I am not offended by your request, but I
wonder whether you realize that no one can answer you directly as
"unknown" is not a real address (or is it?), and therefore everyone would
be privy to your discussions. I find it unusual that you are seeking to
talk with only other lesbians when every woman on this group has had some
sort of experience pertaining to her sexuality that shaped her childhood,
adulthood and career.
Personally, I am not interested in a lesbian-only subgroup that the
straight women cannot be a part of. Are you asking to talk in general or
are you looking for private conversations on lesbianism? Maybe you feel
that others would not understand or could not relate, but maybe you could
give us a try first. And I'll bet even some of the gentleman would find it
insightful as well.
Although I am not a lesbian, I had had some interesting incidents with
men, and other women, that I find insulting and disrespectful. And it
didn't have anything to do with my being straight, so I am really quite
puzzled as to why you feel the need to talk with only gay women. Can you
explain a bit more? I really am interested in talking with other women
about their lives as scientists.