pregnancy and travel

Sonia H. Pearson-White sp3i at galen.med.Virginia.EDU
Wed Jan 12 15:22:05 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan12.001733.25584 at ohsu.edu>,  <nishir at ohsu.edu> wrote:
>I am a woman scientist on an NIH
>study section and I am planning to travel to a study section meeting
>early in February when I will be 8 mos pregnant.
>My doctor says that it's OK as long as I come
>in for a check up to make sure I'm not dilating.

I had a checkup when 8 months pregnant just prior to traveling back to
my graduate school (Johns Hopkins Med) to defend
my PhD thesis, and was found to be 1-2 cm dilated. I had it all scheduled,
and went anyway. My doctor said, "OK if you must, but if you go into labor,
go to the nearest hospital!" I had a three hour drive, not a flight on
an airplane.

>I have been told by several women that the airlines will not allow me
>on the plane (because I might give birth on the plane).
>But is this the case?  Can an airline refuse to let me on just because I look
>large and pregnant?

I think this is true that they still do this. Airlines are not interested
in having anything happen during a flight.

I was very concerned about traveling after being told I was already dilated.
I did it anyway, and the baby (now ten years old!) was not born during my
thesis defense, despite my major anxiety about having my water break all
over my thesis advisor's new carpet! It was very distracting to
be worried about the birth during my defense. Thus, I don't recommend
timing one's defense so close to the due date. However, it would have been
much worse if I had defended after the baby was born.
	My baby was not born until two weeks later, so the dilation was
not necessarily a sign of imminent birth.

Sonia Pearson-White