genetic counseling programs

Sarah Pallas pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 19 12:26:17 EST 1994

In article <2hjjlc$qfr at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "" <unknown at dl.ac.uk> writes:
>  Does anyone have any suggestions on the
>academic job hunt for couples?

It's not as bad as you think.  We didn't mention each other until just
before we went for the first interview.  The theory was that if they
couldn't possibly find another position there was no point in going,
but you want to make sure they're really interested in you before
you break the news to them.

We found that we pulled each other into positions.  He got an offer at
one place and they found something for me, and vice versa.  It has
changed a lot from 10 years ago when you didn't dare mention your
private life.  Now people assume you've got a spouse who needs some
kind of job, quite possibly an academic position.

Good luck,
Sarah Pallas