From "unknown"

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Wed Jan 19 13:41:21 EST 1994

In <2hjs7n$3n2 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "" writes:

> I have been reading the notes about posting here "anonymously", where the
> "from" line says "unknown" and I just noticed that my from line says unknown.
> How do I change that?  I would like it to say
> "Maureen Colbert mcolbert at genetics.com".  I think I've seen people with their
> whole name as well as their e-mail address.

The bug is due to a mail to news gateway in Great-Britain. They are aware of
it and try to fix it. My posting doesn't pass this gateway so my address in
the header should be ok (hopefully ;-)  ).

Besides that, you can never trust in all the software and gateways around
that they will interpret your "from"-address correctly (of course they should,
but...). Thus, it's always a good idea to include your e-mail address somewhere
in your article. If your News or mail software supports it try to set up
an automatic signature.

Regards
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Immunbiologie                 PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+------------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for VMS? -------------+