genetic counselors

candace timpte ctimpte at bio.indiana.edu
Sat Jan 22 15:40:48 EST 1994

In article <94018.120221IO20393 at MAINE.MAINE.EDU>, <IO20393 at MAINE.MAINE.EDU>
wrote:

> i'm an undergrad bio major, and i'd like to go on to be certified for
> genetic counseling....this has been my goal for many years, but my
> advisor never told me that i would have to enter a certified program
> for genetic counselors  (i have since changed advisors)
> my question is, con anyone tell me where such programs are located,
> and does anyone have the address of the organization of genetic counselors
> that oversees these certifications?   i can't seem to find the info i
> need, and the only g.counselor in the area did not go through one of these
> programs....(apparently they are fairly new)
> any info would be appreciated, and if there is a genetic counselor out
> there who'd like to lend some advice, i would be eternally grateful!
> thank you,
> amy rae
> .
> e-mail to_ io20393 at maine.maine.edu

      One of my undergraduate independent study students also wants to be a
genetic counselor. Her experience thus far has been disappointing. The
schools she applied to namely IUPUI, u of Ohio and Cincinnatti and U of
Colorado have counseling programs, but usually accept only 	FIVE or fewer
students per year. So her good grades and test scores were not quite
enough. She was advised to get experience at Planned Parenthood or other
family planning centers, volunteer with a genetic counselor or get hospital
volunteer or job experience.
     In her genetics class here, the prof stressed how important genetic
counseling will be with the new genes being mapped. But if you think about
it each person will use a genetic counselor only a few times in their life:
to see if they themselves carry the trait of interest and to check for each
of their prospective children. So although there is a 'shortage' of genetic
counselors, I do not forsee a need for LOTS of them. I would advise you to
carefully consider this occupation and consider alternatives if you don't
get into a program. Just my opinion--and I could be wrong!!!
Candace