jobsearch

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Mon Jan 24 12:53:01 EST 1994

In article <CJyH3F.Euq at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> jnolan at bio.indiana.edu writes:
>	    While we are on the subject of academic jobs..
>I am interested in starting a discussion of smaller universities and
>colleges versus big universitities:
>
>What is the search committee looking for on my cv,

Where you trained, what degrees you have, how qualified you are for the job;
how productive you've been as a grad student and postdoc.

> teaching interests,

whether your training qualifies you to teach what they want you to (eg., a
whole animal physiologist may be hard-pressed to teach molecular biology of
retroviruses (I know, that's an absurd example; our dept once had a Drosphila
molecular biologist turned down by the dean because he clearly was not
qualified to teach gross anatomy)

>research proposal?

How well your research interests "fit in" with the dept that is recruiting;
whether your research looks "fundable"

should I "scale down" my research proposal for smaller
>places or note that I can if constraints exist in terms of facilities etc.? Or
is that rude?

May be rude; you might be surprised at the facilities available.  Alot of
"small" colleges ) want someone who can pull in NIH and NSF grants and do "big
time" research while teaching an outrageous load.  So don't think that a small
college is going to be easier than a big university.

>				My teaching experience is limited-at "big time U" post-docs are not
encouraged to teach. Will mentions of many seminars and lab meeting talks
suffice for current teaching experience to augment the grad school TA year?

It's OK if you have limited teaching experience as a postdoc.  Everyone knows
it's hard to get.  Just list what you TA'd as a grad student.  Your teaching
ability will be judged by the clarity of the job talk that you give.

>    Do I mention my spouse is also a science academic?

Don't do it until you've interviewed and gotten a sense that they are seriously
interested in you.

>    How do I answer the illegal question of "do you plan to have
>children?"?

Just say "none of your busines"; actually, a nice way to say it is that it is
something that you haven't made a solid decision about one way or another;
perhaps you can turn it around and ask why they're so interested in this issue.

>Most of the women I know that interviewed last year got that one.
>
>			 I have many job "applications" out and would like to remain anonymous.
>
>				Since I am not sure whether a smaller college or big U is my
>preference-
>would anyone like to summarize their views of the advantages and
>disadvantages
>in terms of stress, quality of life, grant getting?

See what I say above about small colleges now aspiring to have the prestige and
money associated with faculty who are able to obtain extramural funding.  Other
colleges just want you to teach and are unable to come up with any facilities
for research.  Do you want to give up research entirely?  If you want to
continue to do research, then go to a place that has the facilities and
attitude to support your efforts.  That usually means a university or medical
school.  The smaller places that "let" you do research will not have the
facilities, the support staff, will not be able to give you the time, nor will
you be able to get the grad students and postdocs that you need to carry out
your research.  It may be frustrating in the long run trying to do research in
such a setting.

>	   Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Rae Nishi