Sexism in Med-School?

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:18:23 EST 1994

In article <brfrench.1.000F5105 at wsuhub.uc.twsu.edu> brfrench at wsuhub.uc.twsu.edu
(Brandi R. French) writes:
>Soon I will be attending medical school, where I hope to be in the company of
>intelligent adults.  I just had a disturbing discussion with a friend, also
>med school bound.  On a routine visit to her (male) doctor, she shared her
>career plans with him. He remarked that she may have a difficult time of it
>based on the fact that she is a woman.  What I want to know is if there really

>is a negative attitude toward young women entering the medical profession.  Is

>it in all areas or just in some specialties?  I have no intention of changing
>my plans on the basis of any response I get, I just want to know how much
>sexist B.S. I can plan to encounter (and then prove them all WRONG).
>

>Thanks,
>Brandi French
>
>brfrench at wsuhub.uc.twsu.edu

I can't speak for the clinicians because I am a basic scientist who teaches in
a medical school, but I'll stick my two cents in anyway.  You will certainly
not run into much sexism the first two years.  There will undoubtedly be some
pockets of sexism once you start doing clinical rotations through specialties.
I doubt if it will be blatant... afterall, most entering medical school classes
are almost 50% women.  And, if you do run into problems, don't hesitate to
report the individual.  Most of the people I know who teach med students are
very sensitive to this issue, but they certainly can't control everyone.  There
are always rumors that it's worse in some specialties than others (eg., surgery
is especially notorious).  Don't worry about it, is the bottom line.  I'm sure
you'll do fine...

Rae Nishi
OHSU
Portland OR