confidence and science

Seanna Annis sannis at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jul 18 18:06:55 EST 1994

I really love this newsgroup !  I thought I was the only person who was
nervous, insecure and tentative starting my Master's.  I could not
believe what I had gotten myself into.  I am now completing my PhD, and
my confidence, ability to speak up, and general disregard on nonsense
from others have all increased.  I can't believe what a timid soul I
was.  The confidence of learning new techniques and eventually getting
them to work has rubbed off on my personality.  I still don't know if
this happens for all women (or men) as grad students.  I have some
friends who bailed out after or during Master's.  One friend in particular
could not learn to take the failure of her experiments as something that
sometimes just happens, rather than a personal failure.  I think learning
that ability or discovering it has helped my personality.  I no longer
feel the necessity to have everyone like me, accomodate people all the
time, or most of all take the blame for things beyond my control.
Though it has been a very long haul, I am really glad I went to grad
school.
Seanna    sannis at uoguelph.ca