confidence and science

Kelly Tetro ktetro at acs.ucalgary.ca
Wed Jul 20 00:11:56 EST 1994

I find it encouraging to read this group and find that I am not
alone!! I am one year into a MSc. I want to do a PhD, but not
here. My supervisor is a very assertive, knowledgable person in
his field. Although I graduated top in my class (U of Guelph
alumni; Hi Seanna!!) I had very little research experience. I was
very intimiated at first, but am improving. I still find it
difficult to talk to my supervisor about questions that I feel he
might find stupid (One reason for a new place for PhD!). Like
others who have posted here, I no longer care about what other
people in the lab think of me socially (I'm the only one who is
married). I still need to be more
assertive, but feel that I know my research well even though I'm
learning how to defend it.

I can't say for sure if this is just me or if it is because I'm a
woman. I suspect it is just me de-valuing myself (He's the expert,
surely he must know more than me!!). One of my goals for my MSc.
is not only to master the research, but also feel comfortable
with my place in it. I'm not there yet, but I see an improvement!

:)

Trudging on...

Kelly Tetro.