confidence and science

rapienmk at hiram.edu rapienmk at hiram.edu
Tue Jul 19 21:22:29 EST 1994

Hi!  I've been reading everyone's posts and thinking about my own background
(as short as it has thus far been, as I'm only going into my third year of
undergrad), and I don't ever remember feeling like I couldn't be a biologist,
certainly not because I'm a woman.  I suppose I've been lucky, all of my
science teachers (until college) were women, and I went to an all female
highschool.  In that environment I learned that a woman could be whatever she
wants to be.  I think any insecurities I have (and I know I do have some) are
because I feel so young and inexperienced.  I'm only a junior in college, and
I've got a long way to go.  :)  Speaking of which, I know that I want to go
straight to grad school, and it's time for me to begin looking into it.  I've
always wanted to try and go straight for a Phd rather than getting a Master's
first.  But I wonder if that is a wise thing to do.  ( I am also aware that it
is not possible to do that at many schools).  Does anyone have any thoughts on
that?  I need all the helpful advice I can get.  :)
                                                            Mary