Sex discrimination ruling upheld by federal appeals court

Sheryl White slw at med.uvm.edu
Thu Jul 21 09:17:18 EST 1994

Mary Polacco (maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU) wrote:

: July 11, 1994 the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals (St Louis, MO) upheld
: the jury verdict of June 1993, that the University of Missouri was
: guilty of sex discrimination in the case captioned Mary L. Polacco v
: The Curators of the University of Missouri. While there was a
(Much detail deleted for the sake of bandwidth)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I can imagine how grueling and hellish this whole
episode must have been, you deserve a round of applause (and more) for
pursuing this.  I certainly hope the award was enough to make this
institution think twice before repeating this sort of thing.  Sadly, I
have seen exactly your situation AT LEAST 3 times...and have had serious
thoughts about discontinuing my scientific career because of it.  I can't
tell you how discouraging it is to see bright and capable women
scientists repeatedly underpaid (we're not talking 10% less, but
sometimes 50% less than their male counterparts), ignored for promotion,
and generally treated like so much disposable intelligence.  I get SO
angry everytime I look and see this happening around me...I only wish
that other people would stand up for themselves and put a stop to this as
you have tried, then maybe the universities would change their policies
and do what is fair.  I doubt that will happen, however, without forcing
them to do so through legal means.  I also am sick of my colleague's
assumptions that women belong in the ranks of the non-tenured, ESPECIALLY
if they commit the sin of being married.  I was recently married and
discerned a palpable change in the attitude of my peers, who assumed the
following (revealed through tactless questions): 1) I was no longer a
real career scientist, and might "retire" from work (I'm 31, by the
way!), 2) I would want to start a family, and would therefore not be
interested in a real tenure track job and would not be pushing as hard at
my work, and 3) That the amount that I am paid (and whether I should be
paid at all) was now unimportant because my husband works.  I wonder at
this time why I didn't haul off and beat these neanderthal-thinking clods
over the head with a graduated cylinder, it's probably the only thing
they would understand.  I wonder, is the rest of the world so backwards?
I console myself with the thought that I've just run into some sort of
time-warp and that this doesn't happen so much elsewheres.
  Anyways, thanks for your post...I'm copying it and pinning it up on my
door, maybe it will provoke some thought.
Sheryl