confronting net discrimination?

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 25 15:39:04 EST 1994

First: I'll admit up front that this inquiry is, strictly speaking,
off the topic of women in biology. However, I've been thinking about it
as a result of recent posts on this group, so I'll send it anyway. I'd
be glad to receive and discuss responses in private communication:
kantola at u.washington.edu is my address. Yes, I'll send it to other fora
and would appreciate suggestions via email of other places to send it.

Last week a few women wrote that their postings signed with gender-
neutral first names or with 'sexless' initials were treated more
respectfully than those signed with decidedly feminine names. I've
certainly observed this and other markedly sexist attitudes on the net as
well. My question is this: how many of us have then publicly challenged
those responses? Drawn attention to a condescending tone or a 'hon' that
wouldn't get sent to a man? I've seen some brave and witty feminist
retorts, I've seen some of those authors subsequently get skewered, but
mostly I've just seen (and let, admittedly) a lot of offensive garbage
slide by.

Another recent (and more encouraging) post told of a woman fighting for
and winning a tenure-track position at an institution which was
systematically discriminatory--a reminder that sexist cultures can
be made to change if they're challenged. I'm interested in hearing about
experiences with fighting sexism on the Net, mostly in the experiences of
women but men are welcome to respond as well.  I'm also interested in
conversing with people about the possibility of a more organized effort;
it's easier to take a stand if you know people are going to back you up.

As I said above, please reply to kantola at u.washington.edu
Cheers,
Angie