grad school

AZPIROZ at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU AZPIROZ at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jul 25 11:21:33 EST 1994

An advisor you get along with but a boring project or a great project with
a not-so-great advisor? While I have tried as hard as I could to do as
"Koester at salk-sc2.salk.edu"  "Su K.", that is, to choose a great project,
I'm not so sure it's REALLY the best way, considering what your choice will
do to further your career. Currently I'm a postdoc, and I have learned and
have been advised by others that the best possible choice, if one is willing
to give secondary importance to personality, is to find an advisor who is
the most famous scientist and with the smallest lab. It's a difficult combo
to find, but believe me, it works. The people who get the choice postdoc
positions are those who come from well-known labs, and the postdocs who get
the jobs are those who come from the same labs.
This may be a "male" type, aggressive attitude, and I myself am not very
happy about it, but keep in mind that in many or most places the people
who do the hiring are male aggressive types who like to hire youthful
versions of themselves.

Ricardo Azpiroz
Plant Sciences
U. Arizona.