confronting net discrimination?

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Thu Jul 28 11:53:20 EST 1994

I wouldn't know about discrimination or sexism in Usenet, as I
haven't conducted any tests.  On occasion, someone who is a
relative newcomer does not have enough background to understand
my point about something, and presumes that I am a newcomer,
and fires off a rude or patronizing reply.  On other occasions,
my comments or position angers someone, who attempts to put me
down via any number of strategies (most involve my status and
position at Yale).  These are ad hominem attacks, rather than
counter arguments on the topic at hand.  I either ignore the
effort completely, or I pointedly indicate that the behavior
is inappropriate and reflects badly on that person.  This has
generally been extremely successful.

	Una Smith			smith-una at yale.edu