groups of women

Mona Oommen oommen at brazil.psych.purdue.edu
Thu Jun 16 08:37:22 EST 1994

In article <199406161246.FAA21996 at net.bio.net> MLJAP at VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU writes:
>Two years ago, when teaching a molecular biology lab course, I said at
>the beginning, before people picked their own lab partners, that there
>was research indicating that women in mixed-gender groups get less out
>of courses than single-gender groups. The class divided themselves
>pretty much by gender, at least among the undergraduates. I think this
>had a positive impact on the students. I had also observed men
>dominating groups. One-on-one assertiveness training will also help -
>the self-confidence from doing it yourself and getting it right is
>invaluable. Muriel Lederman Biology Virginia Tech Blacksburg VA

This is really an interesting approach.  I've used it before in other
contexts.  I was wondering if anyone has a reference for this particular
study (mixed-gender vs. single-gender groups).  It would be good to be
able to back oneself up when students ask, as they invariably do (and
should too).  Thank you.

Mona