groups of women - SS/coed school?

hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 19 19:37:28 EST 1994

I went to a co-ed high school, and a single-sex college, and feel that I
got the best of all worlds as far as developing my social skills and
assertiveness, as well as obtaining an education, are concerned. In the U.S.,
teenagerhood has a lot to do with discovering the dynamics of
relatios between the two sexes. On the other hand, for girls who go to
all-girl high schools, they usually are encouraged at a younger age to
follow their own aspirations, and tolove education for its own sake (this
is my impression).

For my daughter, I would send her to a coed school and encourage her to
go to a single sex college. However, my friends at college who went to
girls schools seemed to feel like they were missing out on something. I
would allow that daughter to follow her natural inclination, which would
probably be to try a coed environment. To be honest, you miss out on
nothing at a single-sex college in the U.S. as far as meeting and being
friends with men goes, except gender-related harassment and intimidation
in class from your classmates. And there is a lot to gain as a result.

Heather
a Wellesley grad