Exposure in Labs (help)

ebarak at NSF.GOV ebarak at NSF.GOV
Wed Jun 22 11:18:06 EST 1994

The assumption here is that violations have occurred, that laws were
broken, that crimes were committed.

Did any violation occur?  I see no evidence.  Were laws broken?  I
seen no evidence.  Were crimes committed?  I see no evidence.

The relative anonymity that is afforded by e-mail sometimes leads
people to write things for public dissemination that they would not
say in other communication modes.  I really recommend caution in what
you write.

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Exposure in Labs (help)
Author:  "P. Ford" <PXF3 at psuvm.psu.edu> at NOTE
Date:    6/22/94 9:34 AM

I originally browsed this newsgroup because I am interested in the history
of women in science, but this topic is fascinating.

What about Right-to-Know laws?  To whom does one report violations?  Does
that vary state to state?

What about the students who trust the mentor and don't ask questions?  This
is why I suggested writing a letter to the editor.  Perhaps there are other
students in other classes who should be asking questions but trust the
authority figures in the lab to insure their safety.

Finally, if you witness a crime, what do you do?  Is breaking laws designed
to protect people's health any less important than, say, burglary?

Just wondering, PF