HEROINE CYCLE

Tillman Bussey tab at crl.com
Wed Mar 16 00:56:37 EST 1994

I'm attempting to develop a heroine cycle theory for an english class.  If you
are familiar with Joseph Campbells hero cycle theory, then you probably have
some idea of the direction I'm going.  Please answer the questions below and
return your responses to me.  Your name isn't necessary unless you so choose.
This questionnaire was written primarily for a woman's thought processes.
However, if you are a male and would like to participate that is appreciated.
But gentlemen if you are going to participate, please interview a woman to
aid in answering the questions.

 1).  What roles do men play in the development of a heroine.  These roles
      may be negative or positive.

 2).  What obstacles would a woman have to overcome to achieve heroine
      status that a man would not have to overcome to achieve hero status.

 3).  Listed below are attributes, negative or positive that may be encountered
      by a woman on her climb to heroism.  Please state your feelings regarding
      these attributes, and add any you feel were omitted.

	   *  Loss of freedom
	   *  Choice of Path
	   *  Must Overachieve
	   *  Inequity
	   *  Bound by Tradition
	   *  Manipulated
	   *  Worth is defined by a male

 4).  In Greek mythology, Sisyphus is condemned eternally to repeat the cycle
      of rolling a heavy rock up a hill in Hades only to have it roll down
      again as it nears the top.  Tell how this  scenario might relate to
      you, or other women you know.

**** ANY CONTRIBUTIONS YOU HAVE REGARDING THE CREATION OF THE HEROINE
     CYCLE THEORY WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ****

------Your responses are needed no later than 2 days from the day of this post.