Apple discrimination hoax

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 22 18:40:03 EST 1994

In Article <01HA9U7AV5IM002QJJ at ZEUS.ED.RAY.COM>,
Raymond_Niro at ccmail.ed.ray.com wrote:
>Well this time I apparently got caught.  My apologies to those who read
>the mail I forwarded.
>
>Kate McCain
>mccainkw at duvm.ocs.drexel.edu
>Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 11:23 -0500 (EST)
>From: WALTHOWE at delphi.com
>Subject: Apple discrimination hoax
>To: "Raymond Niro%RAY_EDMAR_B"@ccmail.ed.ray.com
>Cc: sla-boston at vaxvmsx.babson.edu
>
>The message on Apple's human rights policy being under attack by the religious
>right is a recurring hoax that pops up periodically. It is in the same class
>as the appeal for postcards to Craig Sherwood.

[sig deleted]

This particular description may have been unfounded in facts (i.e. hundreds
of FAXes etc), but it is also true that Apple has been taking a lot of heat
for their human rights stance from the religious right.  I was in Austin,
Texas last Christmas, and there was a major flurry of activity from some of
the local Christian homophobes about Apple setting up a new plant in the
area.  Fact is, these intrusive busybodies consistently try to intimidate
companies, and often get away with it.  It is a wise idea to watch out for
them.  It is rare enough to have a company that will try to do the right
thing even if it doesn't increase their profits, and we shouldn't let them
fall victim to vocal bozos.

Warren Gallin,
Department of Zoology, University of Alberta
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca